Missouri appellate courts dealt more than one blow to businesses in 2014 with an onslaught of rulings that can be construed as pro-consumer or pro-employee.
When a decision announces a new standard that aligns related areas of law while overturning 30 years of precedent, it’s an easy contender for biggest case of 2014, even at the halfway point.
After a recent Missouri Supreme Court ruling, a potential class action lawsuit over insurance liens is heading forward in St. Louis County Circuit Court — unless the U.S. Supreme Court decides to have a say.
An insurance-stacking case that split the Court of Appeals Western District is now under consideration in the Missouri Supreme Court.
The Missouri Court of Appeals Eastern District has asked the Missouri Supreme Court to review a case of alleged perjury after the appellate panel issued a splintered ruling.
A lawsuit over a state fund that supplements deputy sheriff salaries is going forward, though in diminished form.
A man who was stabbed near a St. Louis gas station is heading for a new trial in September, after the Missouri Supreme Court ruled in January that a key defense witness lied during his first trial. (Part of 2014 Major Opinions)
A potential class action lawsuit against a Kansas City-area car dealer is proceeding after an appeals court ruled that the case couldn’t go to arbitration because of a mistaken name in a sales document.
- Immigration: Asylum-Withholding of Removal-Appellate Jurisdiction
- Criminal Law: Child Pornography-Bottom-of-Guidelines Sentence-Substantive Reasonableness of Sentence
- Criminal Law: Child Abuse-Sufficiency Of Evidence-Closing Argument
- Civil Rights: Religious Freedom-RLUIPA-Res Judicata
- Civil Practice: Res Judicata-Stop Work Order
- Immigration: Drug Conviction-Removability-Overbreadth of State Offense
- Civil Practice: Asset Forfeiture-Sanctions
- Civil Rights: Due Process-Failure to State Claim
- Probate : Revocable Trust – Amendment – Reformation
- Employer – Employee : Unpaid Commissions – At-Will Status
- Criminal Law : Post-Conviction Relief – Effectiveness Of Counsel – Conflict Of Interest
- Appellate Practice : Jurisdiction – Final Judgment
- Nurse entitled to disability benefits despite working months after accident, Supreme Court rules
- Eastern District rules 10 cases against TitleMax may proceed without arbitration
- Supreme Court declines to hear Republican appeals on abortion ballot initiatives
- Cole County jury awards $1.56 billion in Roundup case headed for appeal
- Jury gives massive award after fleeing suspect causes fatal crash
- 8th Circuit tosses suit claiming false sale prices
- Attorney general releases report on Kim Gardner investigation
- Legal Limelight: Jason C. Smith, Office Managing Partner, Spencer Fane