The deadly May 2011 Joplin tornado fundamentally changed the legal practice of Legal Aid of Western Missouri’s Joplin office, its managing attorney told a national task force on Dec. 4. “Our biggest gap post-disaster was legal assistance,” said Pamela Roychaudhury. “We have now morphed into a tenants-rights, first-time homebuyers’-rights practice.” Roychaudhury spoke on a panel [&helli[...]
A New Orleans-based fundraiser agreed to pay $39,200 after an investigation revealed that she had taken part of the money she collected for tornado relief in Joplin and spent it on herself.
Three months after a massive tornado destroyed a wide swath of Joplin, volunteer attorneys are still fielding phone calls and in some cases traveling to the city to help residents sort out the legal issues that arise in the wake of catastrophe. St. Joseph attorney Joe Morrey, pictured here, is among members of the Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys to provide disaster legal services.
Members of the legal community continue to help in recovery efforts in Joplin, where a May 22 tornado killed more than 150 people and displaced thousands.
Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster has announced that his office will open a mobile location in Joplin on Monday, to help Joplin residents communicate with banks about property damage suffered during the devastating tornado last month.
- Immigration: Asylum-Withholding of Removal-Appellate Jurisdiction
- Criminal Law: Child Pornography-Bottom-of-Guidelines Sentence-Substantive Reasonableness of Sentence
- Criminal Law: Child Abuse-Sufficiency Of Evidence-Closing Argument
- Civil Rights: Religious Freedom-RLUIPA-Res Judicata
- Civil Practice: Res Judicata-Stop Work Order
- Immigration: Drug Conviction-Removability-Overbreadth of State Offense
- Civil Practice: Asset Forfeiture-Sanctions
- Civil Rights: Due Process-Failure to State Claim
- Probate : Revocable Trust – Amendment – Reformation
- Employer – Employee : Unpaid Commissions – At-Will Status
- Criminal Law : Post-Conviction Relief – Effectiveness Of Counsel – Conflict Of Interest
- Appellate Practice : Jurisdiction – Final Judgment
- Nurse entitled to disability benefits despite working months after accident, Supreme Court rules
- Eastern District rules 10 cases against TitleMax may proceed without arbitration
- Supreme Court declines to hear Republican appeals on abortion ballot initiatives
- Cole County jury awards $1.56 billion in Roundup case headed for appeal
- Jury gives massive award after fleeing suspect causes fatal crash
- 8th Circuit tosses suit claiming false sale prices
- Attorney general releases report on Kim Gardner investigation
- Legal Limelight: Jason C. Smith, Office Managing Partner, Spencer Fane