Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

smoke detector

Jun 11, 2019

Mother reaches settlement for child killed in rental-home fire

A faulty smoke detector at an Independence rental house led to a $1.6 million settlement for the mother of a 5-year-girl killed in a 2017 fire that broke out in the family’s first day at their new home. Tiffanie Burcham, 30, filed a wrongful-death suit in Jackson County in February 2017, two years after the […]

Latest Opinion Digests

See all digests

Top stories

See more news