A Kentucky university has agreed to a settlement of more than $14 million over the death of a student wrestler during practice, the institution said in a statement.
A former Missouri pharmacist who pleaded guilty in a scheme to dilute tens of thousands of prescriptions for seriously ill patients to boost profits is being released from prison early because of the coronavirus, according to an attorney for the victims.
The Missouri Supreme Court ruled that a Joplin hospital can’t be added to a lawsuit after the statute of limitations had run, even though it mistakenly had been named as a defendant at one point in the suit.
An appeals court allowed the case to proceed against a railroad, despite a lengthy delay in the plaintiff’s meeting a key requirement to represent her late husband.
The widow of a 77-year-old Blue Springs man killed while walking into an auto-repair shop’s garage settled a wrongful-death suit against the business, the employee who drove the sport-utility vehicle that struck her husband and the vehicle’s owners for a total of $1.635 million. Ronald Coop, a retired warehouse manager and father of three, was […]
A central Missouri county agreed to pay a $5 million settlement following the death of a man in its county jail. Micheal Eisenhauer, 42, died in the Audrain County Jail on June 13, 2019, after another inmate, Ryan Wade Blair, allegedly assaulted him. Eisenhauer had been incarcerated on a domestic assault charge. Eisenhauer had been […]
The family of a 60-year-old mid-Missouri man killed in a collision involving an uninsured driver reached a $1.025 million settlement of a wrongful-death complaint with multiple insurers. Steven Tracy Smart of Tebbetts died at the scene of the collision on Sept. 25, 2018 on U.S. 50 in Moniteau County, west of Jefferson City. Smart was […]
A Jackson County judge appeared to be on the verge of approving a partial settlement in a wrongful-death case brought by the family of a slain Kansas City lawyer, until a last-minute dispute on Nov. 21 derailed the proceedings. According to court filings, the family of Thomas Pickert, a personal injury attorney killed in front […]
The family of a man fatally struck by a truck while mowing next to a road settled for a total of $2.25 million from multiple insurance sources, according to the survivors’ attorney. AW Smith of The AW Smith Law Firm in Columbia said the accident in mid-July 2018 involved a 16-year-old defendant who was driving […]
U.S. District Judge Jean Hamilton has approved a second settlement, this time amounting to $540,000, for the family of Anthony Lamar Smith — the man killed in 2011 by former St. Louis Metropolitan Police Officer Jason Stockley after a high-speed chase. The state, which at the time of the 2011 incident controlled the city’s police, […]
Ford Motor Co. won a defense verdict in the asbestos-related death of a former brake worker. The company was the last of 60 defendants named in a suit involving the death of Robert Hare, an attorney for Ford, Brita Cantrell of McAfee & Taft, wrote in a case summary submitted to Missouri Lawyers Media. Hare, […]
A man whose family died in a car crash reached a $1.75 million settlement following litigation about the defendant’s insurer’s level of liability, according to the family’s attorney. AW Smith of The AW Smith Law Firm in Columbia said the plaintiff’s wife and minor son were struck in a T-bone collision while making a left-hand […]
- Criminal Law: Child Abuse-Sufficiency Of Evidence-Closing Argument
- Civil Rights: Religious Freedom-RLUIPA-Res Judicata
- Civil Practice: Res Judicata-Stop Work Order
- Immigration: Drug Conviction-Removability-Overbreadth of State Offense
- Civil Practice: Asset Forfeiture-Sanctions
- Civil Rights: Due Process-Failure to State Claim
- Probate : Revocable Trust – Amendment – Reformation
- Employer – Employee : Unpaid Commissions – At-Will Status
- Criminal Law : Post-Conviction Relief – Effectiveness Of Counsel – Conflict Of Interest
- Appellate Practice : Jurisdiction – Final Judgment
- Domestic Relations : Parenting Plan – Child Support
- Criminal Law : Post-Conviction Relief – Guilty Plea – Sentence Advice
- Cole County prosecutor loses third Sunshine Law appeal
- Supreme Court weighs lagging symptoms in work comp case
- New accommodation rights for pregnant workers offer broad protections
- Clark named as next Eastern District chief judge
- Russell reflects on change as women take charge of Missouri’s legal system
- NCAA scores positive gender equity review from St. Louis firm
- Big improvements for Missouri bar takers | List of bar passers
- Athena Dickson named vice-president of Missouri Bar