Attorneys can now apply to be appointed contract counsel on criminal cases for the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri.
A dispute involving a St. Louis County dental practice will have to be litigated in court after the Missouri Court of Appeals Eastern District overruled a 37-year-old precedent on the enforceability of arbitration.
The Missouri Court of Appeals Eastern District has affirmed a $2.5 million jury verdict for an Arnold man injured in a Jefferson County vehicle crash.
A Missouri appeals court has nearly slashed in half a $4.69 billion verdict against Johnson & Johnson in a talcum powder lawsuit after ruling a St. Louis judge did not have jurisdiction to hear claims from out-of-state plaintiffs.
A Missouri appeals court has affirmed a ruling throwing out a suit against The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis hotel in Clayton, which alleged the hotel failed to prevent a man from entering the wrong room and getting into bed with a child.
The Missouri Court of Appeals Eastern District ruled April 21 that a student who allegedly was assaulted by a teacher can’t sue another instructor to whom she’d reported his behavior. The court said that, while the teacher was a mandatory reporter under both state law and St. Louis school regulations, those rules create a duty […]
A Missouri appeals court held rare in-person oral arguments Friday in a case that resulted in a $4.69 billion verdict for a group of women who claimed they contracted ovarian cancer from using Johnson & Johnson talcum powder. The case was originally set for hearing on April 7, but after most in-person hearings were canceled […]
The Missouri Court of Appeals Eastern District has upheld an $8.5 million jury verdict and granted attorneys’ fees on appeal for a St. Joseph employee of Laclede Gas Co. who accused the company of racial discrimination and retaliation. On April 14, a three-judge panel of the court sided with plaintiff Danielle McGaughy, upholding $1.3 million […]
The Missouri Court of Appeals Eastern District on March 31 revived an asbestos suit against a boiler manufacturer, saying there was enough circumstantial evidence for the case to proceed to a jury. St. Louis Circuit Judge Michael F. Stelzer had earlier granted summary judgment to Cleaver-Brooks Inc., one of several defendants in a suit brought […]
An appeals panel upheld Scott A. Bailey’s conviction of second-degree involuntary manslaughter.
The Missouri Court of Appeals Eastern District has upheld a judgment of more than $376,000 awarded to a Mercy Hospital St. Louis housekeeper in her disability discrimination suit against the hospital. On March 17, a three-judge panel unanimously ruled in favor of Tammie McKinney. McKinney brought her claim of disability discrimination against the hospital in […]
The Missouri Court of Appeals Eastern District on March 10 upheld a circuit court ruling that an insurance company did not have to cover an auto dealership’s loss from a fraudulent purchase of a vehicle because the dealership did not come into physical or legal possession of the car. The court found that Exotic Motors […]
- Immigration: Asylum-Withholding of Removal-Appellate Jurisdiction
- Criminal Law: Child Pornography-Bottom-of-Guidelines Sentence-Substantive Reasonableness of Sentence
- Criminal Law: Child Abuse-Sufficiency Of Evidence-Closing Argument
- Civil Rights: Religious Freedom-RLUIPA-Res Judicata
- Civil Practice: Res Judicata-Stop Work Order
- Immigration: Drug Conviction-Removability-Overbreadth of State Offense
- Civil Practice: Asset Forfeiture-Sanctions
- Civil Rights: Due Process-Failure to State Claim
- Probate : Revocable Trust – Amendment – Reformation
- Employer – Employee : Unpaid Commissions – At-Will Status
- Criminal Law : Post-Conviction Relief – Effectiveness Of Counsel – Conflict Of Interest
- Appellate Practice : Jurisdiction – Final Judgment
- Nurse entitled to disability benefits despite working months after accident, Supreme Court rules
- Eastern District rules 10 cases against TitleMax may proceed without arbitration
- Supreme Court declines to hear Republican appeals on abortion ballot initiatives
- Cole County jury awards $1.56 billion in Roundup case headed for appeal
- Jury gives massive award after fleeing suspect causes fatal crash
- 8th Circuit tosses suit claiming false sale prices
- Attorney general releases report on Kim Gardner investigation
- Legal Limelight: Jason C. Smith, Office Managing Partner, Spencer Fane